Monday, September 22, 2008

Good Visit!


Well, for those that didn't see me, I made a surprise visit to Kansas this weekend, and OH how nice it was~! Only a couple of people knew I was coming (yep, surprise!), so that I could surprise my friend Heather and my sister in law, Tabby.. They both had their babies within the last couple of weeks, so I had to go see 'my babies". :) My new nephew, Shane, and my new-practically neice, :) Violet. OHHH, how cute! That's Violet on the left and Shane on the right. I was able to surprise both mommies, and Tabby even cried! :) It was worth all the scheming.
And I might say, both of those babies are JUST gorgeous. Just wish I got to see them more often! Trinity went with me (also her first flights!) and we just had so much fun seeing everyone. I've learned, since moving, the power of 'being known' as I call it. The feeling of happiness of getting a warm hug or smile from someone who knows and loves you... It's hard being new all the time, and having to introduce yourself, tell someone about yourself.. and all the things that people here don't know. I lived in KS since I was 18 years old, and my friends there not only knew my history, but they were PART of it. We share memories of being freshmen in college together, or of sharing our pregnancies together,... they've cried with me, I've cried with them... all that 'knowing each other'.. and it's really hard to not have anyone here who I really share that with. Always being the stranger in the crowd.. so to go home for a weekend, and see all my 'history people' - to be greeted with hugs and love, felt SOOOOO good. Like warm fuzzies all weekend. It was also sooooo good to be in our old church, and to walk in to somewhere that felt like home. To again, be familiar, to be known (and to be loved!).. I just can't describe how wonderful and invigorating it was. I think I feel like I can keep going for a while now.
When I got back last night, I told Philip that I had the oddest feeling now though.. that when I'm here, I call Kansas home. But when I was there, I found myself saying, "Well, at home we...". Both KS and GA are home now, and that feels so weird to have your heart in two places. My mother in law said that, as missionaries, that's the way they've felt almost their whole lives! Crazy! Either way, it was just wonderful to be there, and yet, it's good to be back here with my kids and Philip and our 'new life'.
One last note, Alexandra's birthday is next week on the 28th. If anyone in KS wants to pay her a visit around that time and leave a balloon or a flower.. I'm still struggling with not being there then. Jonathan and Tabetha have said they will for us, for which I am so appreciative.. Not a day goes by that I don't still think of her.

No comments: