Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Email Devotional

Man, I wish I could take credit for what I'm about to post, but I cannot!! I got it in my email devotional. Pretty much hit the nail on the head for me, .... thought it may be what someone else needed to hear too.

"Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them. The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as He did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes, and in the desert. There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a father caries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place." (Deuteronomy 1:29 - 31)

Sometimes our troubles seem unending. A week can feel like a year if there is intense pain or profound sorrow or inordinate fear. What if that struggle goes on for a year?

The Israelites experienced their share of trouble. They wandered in the desert for forty years; not two weeks, not six months, but forty years. During that time they faced hunger, thirst, discouragement, rebellion, sorrow, sickness, fear and death.

At the beginning of the book of Deuteronomy, it is recorded that, finally, the Israelites stood on the verge of entering the Promised Land. Before they entered, God had Moses give them a history lesson.He reviewed the laws God had given them and reminded them that, "During the forty years that I led you through the desert, your clothes did not wear out, nor did the sandals on your feet." (Deuteronomy 29:5)

He pointed them to the truth of how they had survived their long existence in the desert -- God carried them.There is a lesson for us to learn in the story of the Israelites, whenever we are fearful of the future or weary from our trials.

We are not to look ahead and wonder how much we can endure. Instead we are to look back, remember what God has done in the past, and acknowledge how He has sustained us.Then, we look to God to carry us, one day at a time.

Oh God, I can see a path in the history of my life and know that You have carried me. Please continue to do so, because I can do nothing without You.

No comments: